Brunnette wins individual title as Panthers depth is on display
DARTMOUTH, Mass. – Senior Sam Brunnette (Newport Center, Vt.) claimed the individual title with a time of 24:32.02 as the Plymouth State University men's cross country team placed 11th among 41 teams at the Corsair Classic hosted by the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth on Saturday.
Brunnette, in his first race of the season, was neck and neck with junior Trevor Wysong of Bridgewater State until he pulled away down the final stretch to post a personal record time.
Eight of nine Little East Conference (LEC) schools were at the race, with Plymouth finishing behind only the host Corsairs.
Corsair Classic – Plymouth State 11th of 41 teams
How it Happened:
* Brunnette was hardly the only Panther with a strong showing, as classmate Warren Bartlett (Loudon, N.H.) placed 26th with a time of 25:51.79.
* Sophomore Marcus Cryan (Topsfield, Mass.) posted a personal best time of 27:01.48 in the 8k race to finish 64th.
* Junior Noah Byington (Hanscom AFB, Mass.) ended up 95th in 27:28.60, while sophomore Jared Wolf (Tyngsborough, Mass.) finished with a personal record time of 27:54.84 to also earn points for the Panthers.
Inside the Numbers:
* NCAA Division II Southern New Hampshire University was the top team finisher, with 74 points. Host UMass Dartmouth was the best of the LEC competition, placing sixth with 207 points.
* Plymouth State's 297 team points put the team well ahead of rival Keene State (457), which finished 16th, marking the first ever win over Keene.
* Southern Maine was the lone LEC school not to compete.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"Balance was the key to our success," said head coach John Ostler. "We've always been able to count on Sam [Brunnette] and Warren [Bartlett], but now we have a crew that can have their backs. To say Marcus [Cryan] had a career day implies this was a one-time performance. He ran great today and I think that's going to be the norm from him going forward."
* The Panthers compete again next Saturday (Sept. 22) at the Purple Valley Classic hosted by Williams College. The sub varsity race kicks off at 11:30 a.m., with varsity starting at 12:10 p.m.
– 30 –