Bowles, Dennis, Giguere all post top-15 finishes
WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. – Freshman Kim Bowles (Wonalancet, N.H.) and seniors Haley Dennis (Coventry, R.I.) and Lora Giguere (Tolland, Conn.) all posted top-15 finishes to lead the Plymouth State University women's cross country team to a third place finish in the 5k race at the Purple Valley Classic on Saturday afternoon.
Bowles posted a 20:35.8 to take fifth, while Dennis and Giguere finished 13th and 14th, respectively.
The Panthers knocked off a pair of regional rivals, topping Westfield State and Fitchburg State.
Purple Valley Classic – Plymouth State 3rd of 11 teams
How it Happened:
* Bowles continued her strong rookie campaign to finish fifth behind a trio of Williams runners. The Ephs are ranked third in the region and eighth nationally.
* Dennis finished the hilly, muddy course in 21:22.9, while Giguere crossed the line in 21:28.3.
Inside the Numbers:
* PSU exacted some revenge over Westfield State, topping the Owls after trailing them by 62 points at the Corsair Classic last Saturday.
* The Panthers also finished ahead of Fitchburg State for the second straight weekend.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"Aggressiveness was the key to a fine day for the women," said head coach John Ostler. "Beating Westfield State was a major goal for us. It shows improvement on our part from a week ago and it's always nice to get some payback."
* PSU will have two weeks to prepare for the James Earley Invitational. The Panthers head to Westfield State on Oct. 6, with the varsity race at 12:00 p.m. and sub varsity at 12:45 p.m.
– 30 –