Bowles establishes another personal record
WESTFIELD, Mass. – Sophomore Kim Bowles (Wonalancet, N.H.) set a new personal record for the second straight week to lead the Plymouth State University women's cross country team to a 12th place finish at the James Earley Invitational hosted by Westfield State at Stanley Park on Saturday afternoon.
Bowles shaved more than four seconds off her time from last weekend, finishing 24th with a time of 19:35.23.
Plymouth State finished 12th out of 28 teams with 313 points. Trinity College took home the team title with 74 points.
James Earley Invitational (5k) – Plymouth State 12th of 28 Teams
How it Happened:
- Bowles extended her streak as the top Panther finisher to four straight races. She was the second among Little East Conference (LEC) athletes in the field.
- Junior Leanne Burgess (Bradford, Vt.) finished 47th in 20:04.05, while sophomore Mia DeMarco (Merrimack, N.H.) had a big day as PSU's third finisher with a time of 20:37.69.
- Senior Eve Bagley (Holliston, Mass.) finished 87th in 20:47.69, with freshman Abby Hurley (Northborough, Mass.) completing the course in 21:16.05.
- Freshman Hailey Botelho (Rumney, N.H.) and sophomore Rebecca Khimatian (Cumberland, R.I.) rounded out the PSU scorers after finishing in 23:01.73 and 23:29.06.
Inside the Numbers:
- Bowles has topped the 20-minute mark four times in her career, with two coming at the James Earley Invitational.
- PSU's 1-5 spread of 1:40.82 was the team's best in a 6k this season by nearly 16 full seconds.
- Plymouth State finished just behind NCAA Division II schools AIC and University of New Haven, and ahead of Saint Rose. The Panthers also topped Little East foes Castleton and WestConn.
Straight From the Coach's Mouth:
"I'm so impressed by the women," said head coach John Ostler. "It's so hard to have our best race of the year last week and then top it seven days later. Mia [DeMarco] is realizing her talent and that has been a spark for us. This is such a gritty team. I know I can trust them to turn in a good performance week in and week out."
- PSU has one final tune up before the Little East Conference Championships. The Panthers will head to the Suffolk Invitational on Saturday (Oct. 19) for a 2:30 p.m. start time.
– 30 –