Olson leads Panthers with 19th place finish
JAMAICA PLAIN, Mass. – Freshman Michael Olson (Sutton, Mass.) finished 19th overall to pace the Plymouth State University men's cross country team at the Suffolk Invitational at Franklin Park on Saturday.
For the second straight week the rookie was PSU's top finisher, while three other Panthers also finished the 8k course among the top 30.
Plymouth State took fifth with 134 points, just one point behind Little East Conference (LEC) rival Eastern Connecticut State. Southern Maine captured the team title with 47 points, as all five point-scorers finished among the top 15.
Suffolk Invitational (8k) – Plymouth State 5th of 24 Teams
How it Happened:
- Olson completed the course in 27:13.20 to finish 19th among college entrants.
- Senior Noah Byington (Hanscom AFB, Mass.) led a trio of Panthers finishing within seconds of one another. Byington took 27th in 27:40.40, while freshmen Michael Barrett (Hartford, Conn.) and Brent Coope (Wolfeboro, N.H.) were separated by just 0.10 seconds to place 29th and 30th.
- Junior Jared Wolf (Tyngsborough, Mass.) was PSU's final point scorer with a 38th place finish in 28:05.20.
Inside the Numbers:
- Sophomore Kyle Mau (Dover, N.H.) and freshman Colin Moar (Annandale, Va.) took 43rd and 50th, respectively.
- Mau posted a personal record time, while senior Trevor Campbell (Coventry, R.I.) and Wolf each notched season best times.
- The Panthers' top five spread was just 0:52.00 and the average time was 27:43.06.
- Plymouth State will enjoy a week off before competing in the Little East Conference championships at UMass Dartmouth on Nov. 2.
– 30 –