Gaita tosses complete game as Panthers roll
FORT MYERS, Fla. – Senior Dylan Gaita (Melrose, Mass.) needed exactly 100 pitches to toss a complete game nine-hitter as Plymouth State University coasted past Rockford University, 10-1, in a non-conference baseball game at Terry Park on Friday.
Gaita was in control from the onset, allowing multiple baserunners in just three innings, while the PSU bats continued to stay hot. Senior Geoff Kayo (Londonderry, N.H.) was one of four Panthers with a multi-hit game, and eight of nine starters had base hits while PSU reached double digits for the sixth time in eight games.
Plymouth State, which topped Rockford, 11-10, in the opener of the Florida trip last Saturday (Mar. 9), improves to 4-4, while the Regents fall to 3-5.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 10, Rockford 1
Plymouth State (4-4)
How it Happened:
* The Panthers got to work right off the bat. Junior Jimmy Zimolka (Londonderry, N.H.) took a leadoff walk and immediately stole second. Sophomore Joe Routhier (Nashua, N.H.) followed with a base hit to left and senior Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) was hit by a pitch to load the bases.
* PSU added a single run in the third on Kayo's home run to left, his second of the year.
* Rockford got the run right back in the fourth on a leadoff home run, but junior James Salta (Laconia, N.H.) went deep for the Panthers in the bottom of the inning to make it 6-1.
* Wasilefsky poked a two-out single to right in the fifth to drive in junior Andrew Salta (Laconia, N.H.) as the Panthers padded their lead.
* PSU added two more runs in the sixth on RBI doubles by Zimolka and Goulet and junior Derek Scimemi (Melrose, Mass.) picked up his first hit and RBI of the year with a run-scoring single in the seventh to account for the final score.
Inside the Numbers:
* Gaita threw his third career complete game, allowing nine hits, a walk and just one run to pick up his first win of the year (1-0).
* Kayo went 2-for-3 and walked. He scored once and drove in three while adding a steal.
* Zimolka (double, walk, walk) and Routhier (single, single, walk) also reached base three times, while Goulet (single, double) and James Salta (double, homer) had two hits for the Panthers.
* J. Salta's blast was the first of his career.
* The Salta brothers went a combined 3-for-5 with two doubles and a home run, three runs scored, an RBI and a stolen base.
* Routhier now has a hit in all eight games.
* PSU swiped eight bags and has stolen 58 bases this season while being caught just five times. With his three steals, Zimolka is now perfect in 17 attempts.
* The Panthers have scored 24 of their 77 runs on the season in the first inning.
* PSU closes out its spring trip with a 12:00 p.m. contest against Bethel University on Saturday (Mar. 16).
– 30 –