Boldwin homers as part of three-hit game
MIDDLEBURY, Vt. – Senior Ryan Boldwin (Penacook, N.H.) had three hits, including his fourth home run, but Plymouth State University fell to Middlebury College, 15-6, in non-conference baseball action at Forbes Field on Sunday.
Middlebury used a seven-run fifth inning to take a commanding 13-1 lead. PSU rallied in the eighth inning, plating five runs to cut into the margin, but the deficit proved too big to overcome as Middlebury held on for the win.
With the setback the Panthers fall to 9-11, while Middlebury improves to 13-6.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 6, Middlebury 15
Plymouth State (9-11)
How it Happened:
* Middlebury pulled off a double steal to take a 1-0 lead in the second and later in the inning an RBI double made it 2-0.
* The hosts added four runs in the third on an error, RBI single and two run homer to push the advantage to 6-0.
* Boldwin blasted a solo home run to right field to put PSU on the board in the fourth, but Middlebury answered with seven in the bottom fifth.
* Plymouth State rallied in the eighth. Sophomore Joe Routhier (Nashua, N.H.) and freshman Harry Welch (Medford, Mass.) walked around a strikeout. A fielder's choice went for the second out of the frame, but sophomore Andrew Wasilefsky (Willington, Conn.) took ball four to load the bases.
* Senior Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) drove in two with a single up the middle and Boldwin followed with a run-scoring single. A hit batsman reloaded the bases and junior Andrew Salta (Laconia, N.H.) plated two more with a single to right before Middlebury could get the final out.
* PSU was unable to extend the rally into the ninth, however, as Middlebury held on for the win.
Inside the Numbers:
* Boldwin had the lone multi-hit game for the Panthers, while Wasilefsky (double, walk) also reached twice.
* Goulet extended his season-opening on base streak to 20 games with his eighth-inning single.
* Goulet, Boldwin and A. Salta each drove in two runs for the Panthers.
* Sophomore Trevor Delesdernier (Nianic, Conn.) was saddled with the loss after surrendering seven runs over 4.1 innings.
* PSU heads to Castleton University on Tuesday (Apr. 9) for a 3:30 p.m. Little East Conference match-up.
* Middlebury is also in action Tuesday (Apr. 9), when they host Northern Vermont-Lyndon at 4:00 p.m.
– 30 –