Goulet homers twice in opener, Kayo with five hits in nightcap
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Senior Geoff Kayo (Londonderry, N.H.) had five hits and drove in three runs to lead Plymouth State University to a 22-13 win over Rhode Island College in game two of a Little East Conference (LEC) double header at Pontarelli Field on Saturday. RIC took the opener by a 14-5 margin despite a two-homer game from senior Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.).
PSU's 22 runs were the most since Mar. 31, 2016 when the Panthers topped Daniel Webster College 26-9. Plymouth State finished with 21 hits and homered three times, while eight different players drove in a run.
With the split the Panthers move to 10-14 and 3-5 in the LEC, while Rhode Island College ends the day 19-8 and 5-3 in league play.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 5, Rhode Island 14
Plymouth State 22, Rhode Island 13
Plymouth State (10-14, 3-5 LEC)
Rhode Island (19-8, 5-3 LEC)
How it Happened (Game One):
* Plymouth State jumped out to an early lead when Goulet launched a solo home run in the first.
* RIC scored a pair of runs in the bottom of the inning to take a 2-1 advantage and an RBI single in the second extended the Anchormen's lead to 3-1.
* Goulet belted his second home run of the game in the fourth to bring PSU to within 3-2.
* The hosts scored twice in the bottom of the fourth, but the Panthers tied the game with a three-run fifth highlighted by a two-run triple off the bat of senior Ryan Richard (Berlin, N.H.).
* Back-to-back sacrifice flies in the sixth gave RIC a 7-5 lead and the hosts broke the game open with four runs in the seventh.
* The Anchormen capped the scoring in the eighth when they tallied another three runs for the 14-5 final.
Inside the Numbers (Game One):
* Goulet (two home runs) and Richard (double, triple) each finished 2-for-4 with two RBI. Sophomore Joe Routhier (Nashua, N.H.) also reached twice with a single and walk.
* Senior Cam Cossette (Milford, Mass.) suffered the loss (2-2), allowing seven runs on nine hits in 5.2 innings.
How it Happened (Game Two):
* PSU struck first on an RBI single from senior Gavin Cook (Littleton, N.H.) in the top of the second.
* RIC jumped in front on a two-run homer in the third and added three more runs in the fourth for a 5-1 lead.
* The Panthers climbed back into the game in the fifth when senior Ryan Boldwin (Penacook, N.H.) blasted a two-run home run as part of a three-run inning to cut the deficit to 5-4.
* RIC answered with four runs in the bottom of the inning.
* The back-and-forth affair continued into the top of the sixth as PSU scored five runs, highlighted by a two-run double from Routhier to take a 9-8 lead.
* Once again RIC responded, as the hosts plated four runs to take a 12-9 lead.
* Plymouth State erupted for seven runs in the seventh, including a two-run double from Richard, to go up 16-12.
* The teams traded runs in the eighth before PSU put the game away with a five-run ninth inning. Junior Jimmy Zimolka (Londonderry, N.H.) homered and junior Andrew Salta (Laconia, N.H.) added a two-run shot in the frame.
Inside the Numbers (Game Two):
* Kayo went 5-for-6 with four runs scored and three RBI, while Richard finished 4-for-6 with three runs scored and two RBI.
* Every starter had a hit and eight different batters drove in runs.
* Boldwin reached base six times on a home run, single and four walks, while Salta homered, doubled and walked three times.
* The Panthers 13 walks and 21 hits were both season highs.
* Senior Alex Libby (Freeport, Maine) earned the win (2-1).
* Plymouth State is scheduled to host LEC foe Castleton University on Tuesday (Apr. 16) at 3:30 p.m.
* RIC hosts Anna Maria in non-conference action on Sunday (Apr. 14) at 1:00 p.m.
– 30 –