Levesque throws eight strong innings for Panthers
NORTHBOROUGH, Mass. – Junior Mark Levesque (Milton, N.H.) struck out nine over eight innings and Plymouth State University held off a late rally to top Newbury College, 10-8, in a non-conference baseball game at the New England Baseball Complex on Thursday.
Levesque had his best start as a Panther, scattering six hits and giving up just two runs (one earned) to record his first win of the year. PSU scored runs in each of the first five innings to build an 8-0 lead. Newbury broke through with two runs in the eighth, but Plymouth State got them back in the ninth to lead 10-2. The Nighthawks sent 11 men to the plate in the bottom of the inning, cutting the margin to 10-8, and getting the tying runs into scoring position with just one out, but junior Alex Larson (Brunswick, Maine) got the final two outs to preserve the win.
Plymouth State improves to 11-15, while Newbury drops to 5-19.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 10, Newbury 8
Plymouth State (11-15)
How it Happened:
* PSU used a two-out rally to take a 2-0 lead in the first. Senior Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) singled and swiped second, and classmate Ryan Boldwin (Penacook, N.H.) ripped an RBI double to left. Senior Geoff Kayo (Londonderry, N.H.) followed with a run-scoring double down the left field line to make it 2-0.
* Freshman Jacob Unkles (Derry, N.H.) scored on a balk in the top of the second to increase the lead to 3-0 and a sacrifice fly from sophomore Andrew Wasilefsky (Willington, Conn.) and run-scoring single from junior Jake McMaster (Wilton, N.H.) pushed the advantage to 5-0.
* Kayo drove in Boldwin and Goulet with a two-run triple in the fourth and sophomore Joe Routhier (Nashua, N.H.) manufactured a run in the fifth on a walk, wild pitch, stolen base and Newbury error to make it 8-0.
* Levesque kept the Nighthawks off the scoreboard through the first seven innings, but the hosts broke through in the eighth. Sophomore Dylan Presby (China, Maine) ripped a two-out triple down the right field line to spoil the shutout and a second run came home on an error to make it 8-2.
* Sophomore Patrick O'Regan (Haverhill, Mass.) had a sac fly in the top of the ninth and Wasilefsky scored when Routhier reached on an error to restore the eight-run lead (10-2) heading to the bottom of the ninth.
* PSU went to the bullpen and Newbury took advantage of some wildness to score twice and load the bases with none out, before Larson came on. A sac fly cut the lead to 10-5 and, after a hit batter, back-to-back singles made it 10-8 with the tying runs in scoring position. Larson came through, though, striking out the next hitter before getting the final out on a fly ball to center to squash the rally.
Inside the Numbers:
* Goulet, Boldwin, Kayo and McMaster all had two-hit games for the Panthers. Kayo finished 2-for-2 with a double and triple and knocked in three runs, while Boldwin went 2-for-3 with a double and four runs scored.
* Goulet scored three times and stretched his on-base streak to 26-straight games.
* J. Unkles picked up his first collegiate hit.
* Levesque improved to 1-2 after his sparkling start, while freshman Joe Persechino (Torrington, Conn.) fell to 2-5 after allowing three runs and five hits over two innings of work.
* The Panthers host Eastern Connecticut State University for a Little East Conference double header at Pappas Field on the campus of Franklin Pierce University on Friday (Apr. 19) with game one set for 10:00 a.m.
* Newbury heads to Dean College for a pair of NECC games on Saturday (Apr. 20) starting at 12:00 p.m.
– 30 –