Panthers extend league lead behind offensive outburst
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Freshman Myles Abbate (Norwell, Mass.) scored a pair of goals and six different players recorded multi-point games as Plymouth State University soared past Westfield State University, 7-1, in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) men's ice hockey game at Hanaway Rink on Saturday night.
Abbate wasted little time setting the tone as he picked up his eighth goal of the year just 1:04 into the first. The Panthers extended the lead to 3-0 by the end of the period, then doubled the advantage to 6-0 to chase Westfield's starting goaltender in the second. The teams traded goals the rest of the way, with PSU picking up two big points to lead both Westfield and Fitchburg State by three points in the league standings.
The game was the Panthers' annual Scouts' Day contest, as area girl scouts, cub scouts and boy scouts were invited to meet Pemi the Panther, welcome the team onto the ice and meet players and coaches following the game.
Plymouth State goes to 7-1-1 in the MASCAC and 7-7-2 overall, while Westfield State falls to 7-4-4 and 5-2-2 in conference action.
Plymouth State 7, Westfield State 1
Plymouth State (7-7-2, 7-1-1 MASCAC)
Westfield State (7-4-4, 5-2-2 MASCAC)
How it Happened.
- Plymouth State got out to a quick start when Abbate flipped in the rebound of a shot from junior JR Barone (West Chester, Pa.) just 1:04 into the game.
- The Panthers added a pair of goals just a minute apart later in the period to push the lead to 3-0. Sophomore Grant DeWitt (Bowling Green, Ohio) whipped a wrist shot from the right side at the 13:26 mark, then freshman Marcus Seidl (Stockholm, Sweden) finished on the backdoor after a pretty feed from classmate Leo Stolpe (Stockholm, Sweden) exactly 60 seconds later.
- Abbate picked up his second of the night on after 3:20 in the second period, with Barone and senior Victor Bergstrom (Angelholm, Sweden) recording the assists, then freshman Jacob Laurin (Stockholm, Sweden) made it 5-0 at 8:57 of the period when he buried a feed from Stolpe on the nearside.
- Junior Brett Backman (Cos Cob, Conn.) chased Westfield starting goaltender Thierry Messervier (Montreal, Quebec) 15:21 into the second when he received a feed from DeWitt in the slot and fired it to the nearside post.
- The Owls got on the board with one minute remaining in the period on a goal from sophomore Jake Ratcliffe (Auckland, New Zealand) and the score would remain the same until late in the third.
- Sophomore Mike McPherson (Somerville, Mass.) capped the scoring when he fired a shot from the nearside after a perfect feed down low from Backman with 3:05 left to play.
Inside the Numbers:
- Abbate leads the team in goals (nine) and points (14), while Stolpe sits just a point behind after recording a pair of helpers.
- Barone picked up three assists on the night and has five points over his last two games.
- Backman and DeWitt both tallied a goal and an assist, while Bergstrom added two assists.
- Senior Andreas Pettersson (Trollhattan, Sweden) made 22 saves to improve to 6-3-2.
- Messervier took the loss to drop to 6-4-3 after making 20 saves over the first 35:21. Senior Kameron Limburg (Howell, Mich.) made 13 stops over the remaining 24:39.
- PSU went 2-for-5 with the man advantage, while the Owls were held scoreless over three power play opportunities.
- The Panthers held a 40-23 advantage in shots.
- PSU hosts Worcester State in another league clash on Thursday (Jan. 23) at 6:00 p.m.
– 30 –