PSU Men's Soccer nipped by Johnson & Wales in OT

PSU Men's Soccer nipped by Johnson & Wales in OT

Randolph scores lone goal for Panthers

            PLYMOUTH, N.H. – After a valiant effort in front of its home crowd, the Plymouth State University men's soccer team came out on the short end of a 2-1 overtime game against Johnson & Wales University at Arold Field. Plymouth State (1-5-0) suffered its fifth straight loss, while the Wildcats (4-1-0) gave up just their second goal through five games.

            The Panthers came out firing on all cylinders. In a fast-paced, physical game that lasted 92 minutes, the home team struck first. After senior Nick Rutherford (Sydney, Australia) blasted a shot that was deflected off the keeper's hands, sophomore Jerry Randolph (Malmo, Sweden) cleaned up the rebound and gave the Panthers a 1-0 lead just nine minutes into the first half.

            The visitors equalized on a defensive miscue. After being taken down just steps outside the 18-yard box, Andrew Vecere's (Wayne, N.J.) direct kick was misdirected by Yohann Assouramou (Cotonou, Benin) at 16:30, and the half ended in a draw.

            The second half was even more physical. Both teams had opportunities to score in the closing minutes of regulation. A series of late stops from the Panther back line forced overtime.

            It took less than two minutes into the extra frame for the Wildcats to find the back of the net. After a cross was punched away inside the six from freshman goalkeeper Linus Lindeberg (Stockholm, Sweden), Assouramou found the deflection on his foot, and buried the game-winner.

            Lindeberg suffered his second loss of the season, making three saves in the contest. JWU goalie Nicholas Mancini (Toms River, N.J.) played tremendous for the Wildcats, allowing just one goal while making six saves in the victory.

            Plymouth State is off until Saturday (Sept. 23) when the Panthers travel to UMass Boston for a 4:00 p.m. Little East Conference game with the Beacons.


– 30 –