PSU Men’s Soccer tops Eastern Conn. with four second half goals

PSU Men’s Soccer tops Eastern Conn. with four second half goals

Lindeberg stops five shots to earn first LEC win

           PLYMOUTH, N.H. – The Plymouth State University men's soccer team scored four second half goals to run past Eastern Connecticut State University, 4-1, for its first Little East Conference (LEC) win of the season at Arold Field on Saturday afternoon.

           With the win the Panthers end a six-game skid and improve to 2-6 and 1-2 in LEC play. The Warriors fall to 5-5 overall and remain winless in league contests, falling to 0-3 in conference matches.

           The first half of play was a defensive battle as Plymouth State mustered the only shot on goal in the half. ECSU had three shots in the half, but none were on target.

           Senior Erik Ljunglof (Orebro, Sweden) broke the scoreless tie by burying a 30-yard shot over the ECSU keeper. Ljunglof settled a pass from junior Dan Shaw (Winchester, England), turner and fired in the 66th minute.

           Ten minutes later Shaw picked up his second helper, heading the ball forward to freshman Filip Johansson (Lulea, Sweden) behind the defense. Johansson chipped a shot over the charging keeper's head to give the hosts a two-goal lead.

           Junior Juan Rivera (Mt. Kisco, N.Y.) took advantage of a defender who fell attempting to intercept a pass from senior Nick Rutherford (Sydney, Australia) and tapped in the Panthers' third goal of the day. Rutherford recorded an assist on PSU's final goal as well, as junior Truls Julseth (Fredrikstad, Norway) found the far corner open after receiving the Rutherford pass.

           Eastern Connecticut scored a late goal just 15 seconds later to avoid being shutout for the fourth time this season. Freshman keeper Linus Lindeberg (Stockholm, Sweden) made five saves in the win.

           The Panthers are back in action tomorrow when they travel to Middlebury College for a 2:00 p.m. match.



– 30 –