Bunn scores twice for Panthers in LEC setback
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Junior Cam Bunn (Melbourne, Australia) scored a pair of goals but Plymouth State University fell to Castleton University, 5-3, in a Little East Conference (LEC) men's soccer game at Arold Field on Wednesday afternoon.
Castleton junior Jack Kingdon (Woodbury, Conn.) tallied a pair of goals and assisted on a third, while Spartans' freshman goalkeeper Ryan McKay (Mendon, Vt.) made a number of spectacular saves to limit the Panthers' offense.
With the loss the Panthers fall to 3-6-2 and 1-4-1 in LEC play, while Castleton improves to 6-5-1 and 2-2-1 in league play.
Plymouth State 3, Castleton 5
Plymouth State 3-6-2, 1-4-1 LEC
Castleton 6-5-1, 2-2-1 LEC
How it Happened:
* Castleton got on the board early in the 5th minute. Kingdon lifted a free kick from 45 yards out toward the far post and freshman Noah Swainbank's (Enosburg Falls, Vt.) header went back to the nearside post for an early lead.
* The Spartans doubled the lead in the 14th minute. Kingdon lined up a free kick from 25 yards out that deflected off the crossbar. The ball rebounded to freshman Diatourou Drame (Burlington, Vt.), who blasted it into the back of the net.
* Castleton added another tally just two minutes later. Kingdon used a brilliant touch to get around the defense and draw PSU sophomore goalkeeper Linus Lindeberg (Stockholm, Sweden) off his line, then bent a shot along the goal line on the left side to the far post.
* Plymouth had a golden opportunity to cut into the deficit in the 26th minute. After the Spartans were whistled for a foul inside the box, senior Truls Julseth (Fredrikstad, Norway) was awarded a penalty kick. Julseth fired a blast low to the right post but McKay made a sprawling save. The rebound went right to Bunn, but McKay made another spectacular save to keep Plymouth off the scoreboard.
* PSU got one back in the 42nd minute. Julseth sent in a beautiful ball from 55 yards out to the top of the six, where Bunn headed it past McKay.
* Castleton restored the three goal advantage in the 67th minute. Sophomore Joel Atutor (Burlington, Vt.) carried the ball along the goal line on the left side before finding junior Colby Gay (Milton, Vt.) in the middle for an easy score.
* The Panthers nearly got the goal back just five minutes later, when sophomore Antonio Houde (Woodsville, N.H.) found himself with the ball just outside the six. He rifled a shot but McCay made a brilliant save.
* Kingdon picked up his second goal of the game in the 84th minute when he took advantage of a misplayed ball just outside the box and booted it into the open net.
* Junior Joni Hongisto (Kaarina, Finland) got the goal back less than a minute later when he blasted a shot from ten yards out.
* Bunn capped the scoring in the 90th minute with a header off a free kick from 50 yards out off the foot of sophomore Erik Armskog (Gothenburg, Sweden).
Inside the Numbers:
* McCay made eight saves for Castleton to improve to 4-1-0, while Lindeberg had four saves for PSU but dropped to 2-6-2.
* With his two goal, Bunn moved into the team-lead with four goals and 11 points.
* The Panthers held a slight 18-17 advantage in shots and a 5-3 edge in corners. All five of PSU's corner kicks came in the second half.
* Plymouth State has posted a 4-5 mark against the Spartans since they first met in 2007.
* This was the first meeting between the two teams as conference opponents.
* PSU topped Castleton by a 1-0 margin when they last met in 2015.
* Plymouth State visits UMass Boston on Saturday (Oct. 13) for a 4:00 p.m. LEC contest at BC High School.
* Castleton heads to Eastern Connecticut for a 1:00 p.m. LEC match on Saturday (Oct. 13).
– 30 –