Three Panthers score in shutout win
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Junior Cam Bunn (Melbourne, Australia) headed in a goal midway through the first half to spark the Plymouth State University men's soccer team to a 3-0 win over New England College in the Panthers' home opener at Arold Field on Monday evening.
Sophomores Ryan Brown (Milton, Vt.) and Alyosha Westbrook (Los Angeles, Calif.) also scored to give the Panthers a three goal lead. Brown had a multi-point game after also recording an assist on the Westbrook goal.
Plymouth State starts the year at 1-0, while New England College drop to 0-2.
Plymouth State 3, New England College 0
Plymouth State (1-0)
New England College (0-2)
How it Happened.
- Plymouth State broke the scoreless tie midway through the first half on the Bunn goal. Junior Erik Armskog (Gothenburg, Sweden) took a free kick from the left side of the goal and bent the kick around the defenders for the Bunn header.
- The Panthers scored again later in the first half on the goal by Brown. Brown was assisted by freshman Eric Higgins (Peabody, Mass.).
- The third Plymouth State goal was scored by Westbrook, on assist by Brown and junior Cam Macedo (Oakland, R.I.). Macedo passed the ball up to Brown who promptly crossed it to Westbrook for the one-time shot.
Inside the Numbers:
- The Panthers held a 4-3 advantage in shots on goal.
- New England College held a 9-6 advantage in corner kicks.
- Brown doubled his career point total, now six, with the goal and assist.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"It's pleasing," head coach Rob Wright stated, "to start the season off with a win. It was a good competition and I think the game was closer than the score says. It felt good to get some of the younger players out there to get some playing time. Now it's time to get ready for the next match."
- Plymouth State hosts Norwich this Saturday (Sept. 7), at 3:30 p.m.
– 30 –