Byington, Roper lead Panthers
MEDFORD, Mass. – Senior Noah Byington (Hanscom AFB, Mass.) set a new personal record in the mile run and sophomore Marcus Roper (Cornish, N.H.) had a strong day in the throws to pace the Plymouth State University men's indoor track & field team at the Branwen Smith-King Invitational hosted by Tufts University at the Gantcher Center on Saturday.
Byington shaved nearly eight seconds off his season-best time on the way to a PR in the mile, while Roper had a season-best performance in the shot put. Freshman Ian Griffiths (Bedford, Mass.) and junior Terrell Lewis (Nashua, N.H.) also had solid days for the Panthers.
Squaring off against some of the top competition in the region and nation, Plymouth State accumulated 21 points to finish 13th in the field of 22. #6 MIT won the meet with 135.50 points.
Branwen Smith-King Invitational – 12th of 22 Teams
How it Happened:
- Byington cruised past his previous season-best time in the mile run to post a PR of 4:35.35, good enough for 18th in a packed field.
- Roper established a season-best throw in the shot put, covering 13.97 meters to place fourth. Senior Ted Proctor (Marlborough, N.H.) took 18th with a toss of 12.80 meters.
- Lewis finished second in the preliminaries of the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.68 seconds. He turned on the jets in the finals to top the field with a time of 8.26. Lewis added an 11th place finish in the long jump after covering 6.27 meters.
- Griffiths was the seventh fastest qualifier in the 60-meter dash with his time of 7.38. He shaved 0.06 seconds off his time in the semifinals and missed qualifying for the finals by just 0.03 seconds.
- Sophomore Jacob Rigoli (Essex, Vt.) finished fourth in the weight throw with a toss of 16.98 meters.
Straight From the Coach's Mouth:
"Our guys have been consistent all year," said head coach John Ostler. "We're still waiting for a couple big breakthroughs, but as a coach I know what to expect from the guys week in and week out. Noah [Byington] worked hard for that PR and he's got more to give, too. Marcus [Roper] had a nice bounce back meet after an early season slump."
- PSU comes home to the Bank of New Hampshire Field House at ALLWell North for the Panther Invitational on Saturday (Feb. 8) starting at 10:00 a.m. PSU will honor its senior class starting at 9:15.
– 30 –