Panthers 800-meter crew all notch season best times against nation's best
BOSTON, Mass. – Nine members of the Plymouth State University men's indoor track & field team were among a huge field of some of the nation's top athletes to compete at the David Hemery Valentine Invitational at Boston University on Saturday.
Senior Noah Byington (Hanscom AFB, Mass.), sophomores Kyle Mau (Dover, N.H.) and Matt Lyle (Loudon, N.H.) and freshmen Mikey Baker (Westford, Vt.), Brent Coope (Wolfeboro, N.H.), Michael Barrett (Hartford, Conn.), Colin Moar (Annandale, Va.), Luke Gomes (Litchfield, N.H.) and Michael Olson (Sutton, Mass.) were all in action as the Panthers went up against collegiate athletes from all three NCAA divisions, as well as amateur athletes from around the country and Canada. Seven of the nine athletes posted season best times on the day.
The meet was non-scoring.
David Hemery Valentine Invitational – No Team Scoring
How it Happened:
- Moar (2:01.91), Barrett (2:03.60), Coope (2:04.59) and Mau (2:04.77) all recorded season best times in the 800-meter run. Moar sliced more than five seconds off his previous best time to lead the PSU contingent.
- Gomes and Lyle finished fourth and fifth, just 0.22 seconds apart, while running together in their section of the 1000-meter run. Gomes posted a time of 2:38.40, more than seven seconds better this his previous best, with Lyle shaving three seconds off his season best time to finish in 2:38.62.
- Olson notched a personal record in the mile run after finishing in 4:29.08, topping his previous mark by more than five seconds. Byington crossed the line in 4:37.19.
- Baker finished fifth in flight two of the pole vault after clearing 4.35 meters.
Straight From the Coach's Mouth:
"Our guys had a nice day," said head coach John Ostler. "We didn't have any big breakthroughs like we may have wanted, but everyone took a nice step forward. We have some good momentum heading into conference championships."
- PSU travels to Southern Maine for the Little East Conference Championships next Saturday (Feb. 22).
– 30 –