Lewis earns All-New England in 60m hurdles, improves national standing
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – Junior Terrell Lewis (Nashua, N.H.) placed second in the 60-meter hurdles in school record time to lead the Plymouth State University men's indoor track & field team during the final day of competition at the NCAA Division III New England Regional Championship at Springfield College on Saturday.
Lewis was just off record pace during the preliminaries, but was even better during the finals when he crossed the line in 8.17 seconds – a time that is tied for 12th fastest in the country, perhaps cementing a spot at the NCAA Division III National Championship meet in a couple of weeks.
Plymouth State completed the weekend with 10 points to finish tied for 12th. MIT posted the top team score with 171 points.
NCAA Division III New England Regional Championship – T-12th
How it Happened:
- Lewis won his preliminary heat with a time of 8.25, just 0.01 off his school record pace. He was even better in the finals, though, taking second with his time of 8.17 to claim All-New England honors. His time is tied for the 12th fastest in the nation, with the top 15 times qualifying for the national championship.
- Freshman Owen Billin (Meredith, N.H.) finished sixth in Flight 1 of the triple jump, covering 12.93 meters in his opening jump. He finished 18th overall.
- PSU's 4x800-meter relay team took fifth in its section. Freshmen Michael Barrett (Hartford, Conn.), Brent Coope (Wolfeboro, N.H.) and Colin Moar (Annandale, Va.) teamed up with sophomore Kyle Mau (Dover, N.H.) to combine for an 8:22.32 to finish 14th overall.
- The Panthers' other expected competitors pulled out of the meet.
- Select athletes will head to Tufts for the Tufts National Qualifying Meet next Saturday (Mar. 7) for one last chance to improve their national standing in hopes of reaching the national championship in mid-March.
– 30 –