Burk walks-off game one; Morrill with three hits in nightcap
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Freshman Katie Burk (East Islip, N.Y.) drove in the game-winning run in the bottom of the seventh with a walk-off bunt single and senior Debra Morrill (Concord, N.H.) had three hits in the nightcap to lead Plymouth State University to a sweep of Rhode Island College in a Little East Conference (LEC) softball double header at D&M Park on Thursday evening.
Burk came up to the plate with runners on second and third and one down in the bottom of the seventh of game one and delivered a perfectly placed bunt hit to score pinch runner Lindsey Hall (Midlothian, Va.) as PSU took the opener, 2-1.
The Panthers used a four-run third inning to take the lead in game two. The Anchorwomen rallied late, but Plymouth State was able to hold on for a 5-3 win.
With the sweep the Panthers improve to 15-13 overall and 8-2 in the LEC. Rhode Island College falls to 15-11 and 2-6 in league play.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 2, Rhode Island 1 (Game One)
Plymouth State 5, Rhode Island 3 (Game Two)
Plymouth State (15-13, 8-2 LEC)
Rhode Island (15-11, 2-6 LEC)
How it Happened (Game One):
* The Anchorwomen broke through in the top of the third. Sophomore Erica Fluskey (Trumbull, Conn.) roped a ground rule double down the left field line and junior Kelsey Burgess (North Providence, R.I.) singled up the middle.
* A bunt single by junior Michaela DeAngelis (North Providence, R.I.) loaded the bases and senior Emma Simmons (Saunderstown, R.I.) dropped a soft liner into left to score a run, but senior Debra Morrill (Concord, N.H.) fired in quickly to get the runner at third. The next batter lined out to left and Morrill doubled the runner off at second to end the inning.
* RIC threatened with multiple baserunners in the sixth and seventh innings, but both times junior Caitlyn Miller (Lee, N.H.) got out of the jam.
* Sophomore Samantha Cushing (Amherst, N.H.) jump-started the game-winning rally with a leadoff single in the bottom of the seventh and Hall came in to run. A bunt moved her to second, then junior Nora Butler (Tewksbury, Mass.) singled up the middle. A diving stop by the RIC shortstop held Hall at third, but Burk dropped down a bunt that caught the defense off guard, allowing the winning run to come home.
Inside the Numbers (Game One):
* Eight different Panthers had hits, with Goss' double the only to go for extra bases.
* Fluskey went 2-for-2 with a double for RIC.
* Miller earned the win in the circle, scattering seven hits and allowing just one run over seven innings to improve to 10-6.
* Senior Briana Gough (West Warwick, R.I.) struck out six, but took the loss to fall to 9-5.
How it Happened (Game Two):
* Plymouth State scored first in game two with a four-spot in the bottom of the third. Butler led off the bottom of the inning with a booming double to left and junior Jen Landers (Berlin, N.H.) poked a single to center to give the Panthers a 1-0 lead.
* Morrill followed with a bunt single and senior Hannah Seidner (Pembroke, N.H.) walked to load the bases. Senior Ashley Deyo (Dover, N.H.) knocked in a run with an infield hit and, after a lineout, Goss took a walk to force in a run and make it 3-0.
* Cushing added a run-scoring ground out to extend the lead to 4-0 before RIC got the final out.
* The Anchorwomen cut the deficit in half with a pair of unearned runs in the sixth. Burgess slapped a two-out single to right to plate one run, and a second came around on a bases-loaded walk, but a fly ball to center ended the rally as RIC left the bases loaded.
* PSU loaded the bases with none out in the bottom of the inning and Seidner nearly broke the game open, but her sharp liner was snagged by the third baseman. Deyo lofted a sacrifice fly to center to score one, but RIC was able to double off a baserunner trying to advance to end the inning.
* The Anchorwomen put two runners on with one out, but Miller, who had come on in relief, got a key strikeout for the second out. Fluskey knocked a single to left to cut the deficit to 5-3, but Morrill gunned down the runner attempting to move to third to end the game.
Inside the Numbers (Game Two):
* Morrill went 3-for-4 atop the PSU lineup, while Deyo finished 2-for-3 with two RBI. Landers also had a pair of hits (2-for-3) and drove in a run.
* Senior Kayla Mathieu (Fairfax, Vt.) earned the win to improve to 5-4. She allowed eight hits and one unearned run over five-plus innings, before giving way to freshman Jillian Aziz (Plaistow, N.H.). Aziz retired two batters and Miller got the final four outs to pick up her third save.
* Senior Erica Fleming (Sagamore Beach, Mass.) gave up ten hits and five runs to fall to 5-4.
* The Panthers remain in league play with a pair of games at Southern Maine on Friday (Apr. 19) starting at 3:30 p.m.
* Rhode Island also plays a conference double header on Friday (Apr. 19), hosting the University of Massachusetts Boston starting at 4:00 p.m.
– 30 –