Kuus leads Panthers with sixth place finish
FRANCONIA, N.H. – Junior Karl Kuus (Toronto, Ont.) posted his first top-ten finish of the season to lead the Plymouth State University alpine ski teams in the slalom races of the University of New Hampshire Carnival at Mittersill on Cannon Mountain on Saturday.
Kuus led the PSU men with a sixth place finish, with two other Panthers finishing among the top-30. Sophomore Gigi Quimby (Dunstable, Mass.) was the only PSU woman to finish both runs to capture 40th place.
UNH Carnival (Men's SL) – 6th of 13 Teams
UNH Carnival (Women's SL) – 13th of 13 Teams
Team Champions (Men):
* Dartmouth swept the team title for the weekend, totaling 129 points to finish first. Host UNH finished second with 92 points, while St. Lawrence University ended up third with 81.
* The Panthers' 71 points were good enough for sixth.
Team Champions (Women):
* The Big Green won the weekend on the women's side as well, accumulating 125 points to take the team title. The University of Vermont came in second (111), just ahead of UNH (105).
* PSU totaled ten points.
How it Happened (Men):
* Kuus sat in eighth place after his opening run of 53.52, with sophomore Cooper Yates (Richmond, B.C.) not far behind in 11th (54.13).
* Kuus moved into sixth following a second run of 53.17, but Yates was unable to complete the second run.
* Freshman Hunter Watson (Ottawa, Ont.) finished 23rd with a combined time of 1:50.64, while a trio of Panthers occupied the 30-32 slots.
* Sophomore Ander Gonzalez (Pamplona, Spain) finished 30th in 1:52.09, edging out junior Michael Townsend (Layton, Utah), who posted a time of 1:52.18 to finished 31st. Junior Logan Martin (Edwards, Colo.) was right behind the pair with a time of 1:52.43 to finish 32nd.
How it Happened (Women):
* Quimby was the lone Panther to complete both runs. Her opening run of 1:02.67 was the 51st fastest, and she followed with a 1:03.74 in the second run for a combined time of 2:06.41 to place 40th.
* Freshman Rachel Smith (Stowe, Vt.) sat in 58th after her opening run (1:04.99), and junior Rachel Kosik (Goodrich, Mich.) had the 64th fastest first run (1:08.66), but neither were able to complete their second runs.
* Senior Freydis Einarsdottir (Gardabaer, Iceland) and junior Ashley Houser (Ramsey, N.J.) also raced for the Panthers.
* PSU heads to Stowe Mountain Resort in two weeks (Feb. 1 & 2) for the University of Vermont Carnival.
– 30 –