Kuus, Metzger lead the way once again
STOWE, Vt. – Senior Karl Kuus (Toronto, Ontario) and freshman Camryn Metzger (Thornbury, Ontario) were once again the top finishers as the Plymouth State University alpine ski teams competed in the giant slalom at Stowe Mountain Resort during day one of the UVM Carnival on Friday.
Kuus led the men's contingent with a 21st place finish, while Metzger paced the women after placing 29th.
The carnival continues with the slalom races tomorrow.
UVM Carnival (Men's GS) – 7th of 13 Teams
UVM Carnival (Women's GS) – 10th of 13 Teams
Team Champions (Men):
- Middlebury topped the field with 122 points. Its closest challengers were UNH (114) and Dartmouth (108).
- PSU secured 59 points to finish five in back of St. Michael's College (64) for sixth.
Team Champions (Women):
- UVM (128) topped Dartmouth (121) in the women's team standings, with UNH (91) rounding out the top three.
- Plymouth State earned 46 points for its 10th place finish.
How it Happened (Men):
- Kuus sat in 19th following his opening run of 1:08.70 but dropped back two places to finish 21st with a combined 2:16.20.
- Sophomore Hunter Watson (Ottawa, Ontario) finished 26th in 2:17.50, with junior Ander Gonzalez (Pamplona, Spain) in 38th after posting a 2:19.40.
How it Happened (Women):
- Metzger was the 29th fastest in each run to finish 29th overall in 2:23.90.
- Freshman Lili Flachbart (Hamilton, Mass.) took 37th after posting a 2:27.20, while classmate Zoe Simpson (Portland, Ore.) moved up from 48th after her first run to finish in 41st with a 2:27.80.
- Freshman Carmela Olmo (Lleida, Spain) ended up 48th with a time of 2:28.50, while junior Gigi Quimby (Pepperell, Mass.) wrapped up the PSU finishers with a 53rd place showing in 2:30.50.
- The carnival continues tomorrow (Jan. 25) with the slalom races.
– 30 –