Watson, Yates, Metzger all post top-15 finishes for Panthers
HANCOCK, Mass. – Sophomore Hunter Watson (Ottawa, Ontario), junior Cooper Yates (Richmond, British Columbia) and freshman Camryn Metzger (Thornbury, Ontario) each posted top-15 finishes to lead the Plymouth State University alpine ski teams in the giant slalom at the Williams Carnival at Jiminy Peak Mountain Resort on Friday.
Watson posted his second-straight top-ten finish pacing the men with a ninth-place finish, with Yates not far behind in 15th. Metzger led the women with a 13th-place showing.
Williams Carnival (Men's GS) – 6th of 13 Teams
Williams Carnival (Women's GS) – T-10th of 13 Teams
Team Champions (Men):
- Middlebury topped the men's field with 139 points, with Dartmouth (103) and UNH (94) rounding out the top three.
- Plymouth State totaled 80 points to finish just one behind Williams.
Team Champions (Women):
- Dartmouth led the women's side with 124 points, while UNH (107) and Middlebury (100) made up the rest of the top three.
- PSU totaled 36 points to finish deadlocked with Bates.
How it Happened (Men):
- Watson had a great day at the hill. His first run of 52.45 was the ninth fastest and he followed that up with the eighth fastest second run (51.01) to finish ninth in 1:43.46.
- Yates wasn't far behind taking 15th in 1:44.21, while senior Karl Kuus (Toronto, Ontario) finished 25th in 1:45.48.
- Junior Ander Gonzalez (Pamplona, Spain) was the Panthers' fourth finisher with a 1:46.93 for 35th place.
How it Happened (Women):
- Metzger was back in 23rd following her first run of 56.05 but threw down a great second run to leapfrog all the way to 13th. Her second run time of 52.83 was the fourth fastest, giving her a combined 1:48.88.
- Freshman Zoe Simpson (Portland, Ore.) was the other woman to complete both runs, finishing 42nd with a time of 1:55.16.
- The teams are back at it tomorrow (Feb. 15) for the slalom races.
– 30 –