Kuus takes seventh, Metzger leads women
HANCOCK, Vt. – Senior Karl Kuus (Toronto, Ontario) posted his best finish of the season and freshman Cameron Metzger (Thornbury, Ontario) extended her strong rookie campaign to lead the Plymouth State University alpine ski teams in the slalom at the Eastern Intercollegiate Ski Association (EISA) Championships at the Middlebury Carnival at Middlebury Snow Bowl on Friday.
Kuus posted a seventh-place finish, his best of the year in either discipline, while sophomore Hunter Watson (Ottawa, Ontario) finished 13th to lead the men to a tie for fifth place. Metzger was the top female finisher for the eighth time in 11 races to help the PSU women to a 10th-place showing.
EISA Championships / Middlebury Carnival (Men's SL) – T-5th of 13 Teams
EISA Championships / Middlebury Carnival (Women's SL) – 10th of 13 Teams
Team Champions (Men):
- Dartmouth posted 114 points to nip Middlebury (113) for the top spot, while UVM (94) took third.
- Plymouth State accrued 62 points to finish deadlocked with Bates for fifth.
Team Champions (Women):
- Dartmouth swept the day with the women totaling 132 points. Middlebury (115) was the runner up, with UNH (94) rounding out the top three.
- PSU totaled 33 points to finish tenth, just two points behind Harvard.
How it Happened (Men):
- Kuus sat in 24th following his initial run but was dynamic in run two posting the third fastest time to climb all the way to seventh with a combined 1:36.69.
- Watson posted his fourth straight top-15 finish after taking 13th in 1:37.48.
- No other men were able to complete both runs.
How it Happened (Women):
- Metzger continued her outstanding season to pace the women for the eighth time. Following an opening run of 51.52 she was in 27th, but her second run of 52.12 was the 15th fastest to move up to 20th overall with a combined 1:43.64.
- Freshmen Carmela Olmo (Lleida, Spain) and Zoe Simpson (Portland, Ore.) ended the day 46th and 47th.
- The championships wrap up tomorrow with the giant slalom.
– 30 –