Crayton posts first career double-double in setback
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Freshman Skyler Crayton (Lynn, Mass.) posted her first career double-double with career-bests of 14 points and 13 rebounds, but Rhode Island College pulled away from Plymouth State University in the second half on the way to a 63-44 win in the Panthers' Little East Conference (LEC) women's basketball opener at Foley Gymnasium on Saturday afternoon.
The teams went back-and-forth with RIC holding 15-9 edge at the end of the first. Plymouth State was able to chip away at the deficit, cutting the margin to two in the second quarter, but a late spurt gave the Anchorwomen a 26-21 advantage at halftime. RIC pushed the margin to double-digits in the third and was able to maintain the lead throughout the end of the game.
Plymouth State drops its fourth in a row to fall to 3-5 (0-1 LEC), while RIC improves to 7-1 and 2-0 in conference play.
Plymouth State 44, RIC 63
Plymouth State (3-5, 0-1 LEC)
RIC (7-1, 2-0 LEC)
How it Happened.
- Senior Chenysse Hill (Lynn, Mass.) came up with a steal and fed classmate Brittany Roche (Londonderry, N.H.) for a three on the right wing to pull the Panthers to within 8-7 with 2:16 left in the opening frame.
- Junior Sophia Guerrier (Waltham, Mass.) controlled play late in the frame for the Anchorwomen, laying the ball in, then coming up with a steal on the ensuing in-bounds play and hitting one-of-two from the free throw line. Another Guerrier steal and fast break layup gave RIC a 13-7 lead in the final minute.
- The teams traded points with freshman Bella Earle (South Hadley, Mass.) hitting a pair of free throws for the Panthers and senior Jordyn Gauvin (Fall River, Mass.) finishing a driving layup to give RIC a 15-9 lead at the end of the first.
- Hill buried a midrange jumper to cut the margin to 18-14 with 6:31 left in the second and four minutes later Crayton made it a two-point game, 20-18, with two minutes left in the half.
- The Anchorwomen used a 6-1 spurt to push the lead to 26-19 on Guerrier's jumper, but senior Alex Ricard (Manchester, N.H.) knocked down a baseline jumper to make it 26-21 at the half.
- Guerrier finished an and-one to push the RIC lead to double digits, 32-22, 3:45 into the third quarter and the Anchorwomen held a double digit lead the rest of the way.
Inside the Numbers:
- Crayton led a trio of Panthers with her 14 points. Roche added 12 points and five rebounds, while Hill finished with 10 points, four rebounds and three assists.
- Crayton added a five steals in the effort.
- Ricard pulled down eight rebounds for the Panthers.
- Guerrier led all scorers with 21 points and added five boards and five steals, while sophomore Abby Phelan (Norton, Mass.) came off the bench for 11 points in 11 minutes. Senior Jordyn Gauvin (Fall River, Mass.) chipped in with 10 points, six boards, five assists and two steals for RIC.
- RIC held a 50-39 on the glass.
Straight From the Coach's Mouth:
"We stuck to the game plan," said interim head coach Leah Swanson. "They game 100%. We just have to avoid that one quarter scoring slump."
- PSU will enjoy some down time before heading to WestConn for an LEC clash on Jan. 4.
– 30 –