Salzillo leads three Panthers in double-figures
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Freshman Alessia Salzillo (Saugus, Mass.) was one of three Plymouth State University women's basketball players to finish in double-figures, but league leading Eastern Connecticut State University was too strong as the Warriors topped the Panthers, 67-40, in a Little East Conference (LEC) game at Foley Gymnasium on Saturday afternoon.
Eastern Connecticut got off to a quick start, but led by just nine (20-11) at the end of the first and PSU held the powerful Warriors' offense to just ten second-quarter points. Plymouth State had a tough time maintaining its offense in the third quarter, however, as ECSU took control and PSU was unable to mount a comeback in the fourth.
Plymouth State dips to 3-9 on the season and goes to 0-5 in the LEC, while Eastern Connecticut improves to 11-2 and stays unbeaten (5-0) in league play.
Plymouth State 40, ECSU 67
Plymouth State (3-9, 0-5 LEC)
ECSU (11-2, 5-0 LEC)
How it Happened.
- Senior Lizzy Cretella (Cheshire, Conn.) had five quick points as the Warriors jumped out to a 13-2 lead over the first five minutes.
- Salzillo buried a three from the right wing as PSU cut the margin to 18-11 late in the quarter, but a pair of ECSU free throws made it a 20-11 game after one.
- Salzillo pushed the tempo for a fastbreak layup and her baseline jumper pulled the Panthers to within 28-18 with just over two minutes to go. The teams traded buckets from there as the visitors went into halftime with a 30-20 lead.
- Sophomore Anna Barry (Andover, Conn.) and senior Mya Villard (Cromwell, Conn.) scored the Warriors' first 13 points of the second half as the visitors pushed the lead to 43-24.
- Villard's two free throws pushed the Warriors' advantage to 51-28 after the third.
- Freshman Jalen Cook (Monkton, Vt.) scored on back-to-back possessions, then swished a straight-on three as PSU pulled to within 56-40 with four minutes to play.
- That was as close as the Panthers would get, however, as Eastern picked up the win.
Inside the Numbers:
- Salzillo led the Panthers with 13 points and added three rebounds and two assists, while Cook added 11 points and five boards.
- Freshman Bella Earle (South Hadley, Mass.) went 3-of-5 off the bench for 10 points and grabbed four rebounds.
- Villard led all scorers with 18 points and added seven rebounds, while Barry chipped in with 15 points.
- ECSU controlled the paint, outrebounding the Panthers by a 44-29 margin and outscoring PSU in the paint 32-14.
- The Panthers host Southern Maine at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday (Jan. 15) in another LEC contest, while Eastern Connecticut welcomes Emmanuel to town for a non-conference showdown on Monday (Jan. 13) at 7:00 p.m.
– 30 –