McLaughlin records double-double in setback
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Junior Elizabeth McLaughlin (Melvin Village, N.H.) recorded a 10-point, 10-rebound double-double, but Rhode Island College was too strong for Plymouth State University as the Anchorwomen posted an 89-39 win in a Little East Conference (LEC) women's basketball game at The Murray Center on Saturday afternoon.
RIC used a 21-2 run in the first quarter to build a sizeable lead and the hosts coasted from there.
Plymouth State drops to 3-13 and 0-9 in the Little East, while RIC improves to 16-2 and 8-1 in conference action.
Plymouth State 39, RIC 89
Plymouth State (3-13, 0-9 LEC)
RIC (16-2, 8-1 LEC)
How it Happened.
- Plymouth State took an early lead, 4-3, when freshman Autumn Nelson (Weare, N.H.) cashed in a layup with 8:02 left in the first quarter.
- RIC sank a three on the ensuing possession to spark a 21-2 run and the Anchorwomen led 25-6 after the first.
- PSU struggled to find its offense in the second as the hosts extended the lead to 46-12 at halftime.
- The Panthers' offense put up 27 points in the second half, but the deficit was too large to overcome.
Inside the Numbers:
- McLaughlin's double-double was her second of the year. She has reached double figures in points each of her last four games.
- Senior Alex Ricard (Manchester, N.H.) added eight points and four rebounds, while freshman Bella Earle (South Hadley, Mass.) chipped in with seven points and three boards.
- RIC outrebounded the Panthers by a 61-37 margin.
- The Panthers host Northern Vermont-Lyndon for Spirit Night on Tuesday (Jan. 28) at 5:30 p.m.
– 30 –