Cook nets career-high on Senior Day
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Freshman Jalen Cook (Monkton, Vt.) scored a career-high 25 points but the University of Massachusetts Boston used a 9-0 run late in the fourth quarter to pull away from Plymouth State University, 69-61, in a Little East Conference (LEC) game at Foley Gymnasium on Senior Day on Saturday afternoon.
The teams went into the fourth quarter deadlocked at 41-41. The Beacons quickly went ahead and would play with the lead for the duration of the quarter, but PSU remained within striking distance throughout. Cook's triple, her fifth of the afternoon, made it a 54-53 deficit with three minutes to go, but the visitors answered with the game-deciding run to escape with the win.
Prior to the game Plymouth State honored seniors Chenysse Hill (Lynn, Mass.), Brittany Roche (Londonderry, N.H.), Alex Ricard (Manchester, N.H.) and four-year manager Morgan Donovan in a brief on-court ceremony.
Plymouth State ends its season at 4-21 and 0-16 in the Little East, while UMass Boston improves to 19-6 and 10-6 in the LEC.
Plymouth State 61, UMass Boston 69
Plymouth State (4-21, 0-16 LEC)
UMass Boston (19-6, 10-6 LEC)
How it Happened.
- Freshman Autumn Nelson (Weare, N.H.) had four points during a 7-0 spurt as PSU took a 7-2 lead midway through the first quarter.
- The Beacons trimmed the margin to one, 11-10, on senior Jamie Staples' (Amherst, Mass.) triple, but the Panthers countered with a 7-0 run and PSU went into the second quarter with a 20-13 lead.
- The teams traded baskets in the opening minute of the second before UMB used a 14-0 surge over four minutes to jump in front, 30-22, at the midpoint of the quarter.
- Ricard hit one-of-two from the line and freshman Alessia Salzillo (Saugus, Mass.) nailed a midrange jumper to cut the margin to 30-25 at the half.
- Cook sliced the deficit to one, 33-32, with a baseline drive, then knocked down a straight-on three to put the Panthers back in the lead, 35-33, with 4:40 left in the third.
- UMass Boston came back with six straight points, but Cook's buzzer-beating triple tied the game at 41-41 heading to the fourth.
- The visitors grabbed the lead for good with the first four points of the fourth quarter, but PSU would remain within four until the final minutes.
- Salzillo knocked down a pair from the charity stripe to make it a one-possession game, 52-50, with 4:31 remaining, and Cook's fifth trifecta cut the margin to 54-53 with 3:12 to go, but the Beacons answered with nine straight points.
Inside the Numbers:
- Cook finished 8-of-13 from the field, including 5-of-6 from long range, for her career day. She added team-highs of nine rebounds and four assists.
- Salzillo chipped in 14 points and a game-high four steals, while Ricard went for nine points, three boards, three assists and two blocks in her final game.
- Hill added four points, three rebounds and two steals.
- Junior Joie Grassi (Plymouth, Mass.) led the Beacons with 18 points and 12 rebounds and added five assists and four blocked shots, while classmate Jalani Jackson (Brockton, Mass.) added 17 points and four assists.
- UMB owned a 49-28 advantage on the boards.
|Plymouth State seniors with their families|
– 30 –