Petito logs 50 saves as Panthers pick up NEHC point
BOSTON, Mass. – Sophomore Olivia Petito (St. Augustine, Fla.) made 50 saves against her former team and senior Caitlin Connor (Bow, N.H.) scored as Plymouth State University extended its unbeaten streak to five straight games after the Panthers' New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) contest at the University of Massachusetts Boston ended with the score deadlocked at 1-1.
Connor gave the Panthers a first period lead and Petito nearly made it hold up, but the Beacons were able to square the game with 2:40 left in regulation. Neither team was able to light the lamp in the extra frame as the teams settled for a draw.
Plymouth State improves to 6-13-2 and 4-7-2 in the NEHC, while UMass Boston ends the night at 11-9-3 ad 7-5-2 in conference play.
Plymouth State 1, UMass Boston 1 (OT)
Plymouth State (6-13-2, 4-7-2 NEHC)
UMass Boston (11-9-3, 7-5-2 NEHC)
How it Happened:
- PSU got on the board at the 11:04 mark of the first. Senior Alie Louie (Mount Laurel, N.J.) snapped a wrist shot from the bottom of the left face-off circle. Senior goaltender Caty Flagg (Methuen, Mass.) made the stop but the puck popped free and Connor was there to push it into the open net.
- Neither team was able to add to the scoring column in the second period, as Petito registered 35 saves over the first 40 minutes.
- UMass Boston evened the game with 2:40 left in regulation when junior Kelsey Ryan (Burlington, Mass.) skated through the neutral zone before firing a shot that trickled through Petito.
- PSU held a 5-3 advantage in shots in the extra period and Petito held strong as the Beacons' put on extra pressure in the final minute.
Inside the Numbers:
- Petito's 50 saves were one shy of per career high. She improved to 1-3-1 on the year. Flagg made 38 saves for the Beacons and moved to 11-9-3.
- With her assist, Louie now has a point in three of her last four games.
- Connor's goal was her sixth of the year. She logged three points over the weekend and is third on the team with 15 points on the season.
- PSU heads to Johnson & Wales on Wednesday (Feb. 12) for another key NEHC contest. Puck-drop is set for 6:00 p.m.
– 30 –