Panthers to close out regular season at Williams on Tuesday
EAST BOSTON, Mass. – Freshman Addie Swanson (Anchorage, Alaska) tallied her third goal of the year, but Suffolk University opened the game with five straight goals and the Rams earned a 5-1 win over Plymouth State University in a New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) women's ice hockey game at Louis E. Porrazzo Memorial Rink on Saturday night.
Suffolk scored the lone goal of the first period and added two more in the second. The Rams' lead grew to 5-0 midway through the final stanza before Swanson lit the lamp with 4:28 remaining.
Plymouth State ends its conference slate with a 5-9-2 record (7-15-2 overall) and will be the #7 seed for the NEHC Tournament. The Panthers will visit #2 seed Castleton for a quarterfinal game next Saturday (Feb. 22). Suffolk moves to 8-14-3 overall and 8-7-1 in the NEHC. The Rams will be the #6 seed.
Plymouth State 1, Suffolk 5
Plymouth State (7-15-2, 5-9-2 NEHC)
Suffolk (8-14-3, 8-7-1 NEHC)
How it Happened:
- Suffolk got on the board first when freshman Madison Ricardo (Nobleton, Ontario) potted her fourth of the season at the 8:14 mark.
- The Rams doubled the lead 2:12 into the second as sophomore Grace Scholz (Lake Bluff, Ill.) found the back of the net.
- Scholz fed sophomore Stephanie Moy (Burnaby, British Columbia) to make it a 3-0 game with 4:27 left in the period.
- Suffolk tacked on a pair of goal midway through the third to put the game out of reach.
- Swanson tallied her third of the year to spoil the Rams' shutout bid with less than five minutes to play.
Inside the Numbers:
- Swanson's goal was her fifth point of the season. Freshman Chantelle Ross (Ottawa, Ontario) picked up her fourth assist of the year.
- Sophomore goalie Olivia Petito (St. Augustine, Fla.) made 41 saves but suffered the loss to fall to 1-4-1, while freshman Julia McLellan (Grosse Pointe Woods, Mich.) improved to 4-11-2 for the Rams after logging 18 saves.
- Neither team was able to capitalize on the power play. PSU finished 0-for-3, while Suffolk was scoreless in four chances.
- Suffolk held a 46-19 advantage in shots.
- Plymouth State wraps up the regular season with a non-conference battle at Williams on Tuesday (Feb. 18) at 7:00 p.m.
– 30 –