McAndrew extends scoring streak in setback
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – The Plymouth State University women's lacrosse team continued its stretch against top national competition as the Panthers battled #5 Wesleyan University, falling 16-2, in a non-conference game at Washburn Field at Colorado College on Wednesday.
Wesleyan took a 2-0 lead just over a minute into the game when junior Meg McAndrew (South Windsor, Conn.) cut the deficit in half with her sixth goal of the year. The Cardinals took control from there, however, closing the half with 12 straight goals.
Plymouth State falls to 1-4 to start the year, while Wesleyan improves to 4-0.
Plymouth State 2, #5 Wesleyan 16
Plymouth State (1-4)
#5 Wesleyan (4-0)
How it Happened.
- Wesleyan got back-to-back goals from Abby Manning as the Cardinals took a 2-0 lead after the first 1:18.
- McAndrew notched her sixth of the year just over a minute later, but Manning answered with three straight scores for a 5-1 lead after ten minutes of play.
- The Cardinals extended the lead to 14-1 on Manning's sixth tally of the day.
- Wesleyan scored twice in the first four minutes of the second half before senior Jewelia Durant (Madbury, N.H.) capped the scoring to account for the 16-2 final score.
Inside the Numbers:
- McAndrew has scored in every game this season, while Durant's tally was her first of the year.
- Junior Meaghan Allard (Amherst, N.H.) led the Panthers with a team high three ground balls, while McAndrew, junior Faye Brown (Londonderry, N.H.) and freshman Olivia Croke (Norwell, Mass.) each snagged two.
- Allard made nine saves over the first 53:21 before giving way to freshman Sam Porter (Weare, N.H.).
- Plymouth State remains in Colorado for a clash with #15 Colorado College on Friday (Mar. 13) at 4:00 p.m. EST.
– 30 –