Panthers honor six seniors playing final home game
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Graduate student Meghan Dunn (Dudley, Mass.) converted on a penalty kick try in the 33rd minute to lead visiting Nichols College to a 1-0 win over Plymouth State University in a non-conference women's soccer game at Arold Field to spoil the Panthers' Senior Day on Saturday afternoon.
Prior to the game Plymouth State honored the six seniors playing in their final home contest; goalkeeper Leandra Nault (Goffstown, N.H.), forward Sabrina Sweeney (Raymond, N.H.), defender Jenna O'Malley (Methuen, Mass.), and midfielders Kate Martin (Westmoreland, N.H.), Hannah Murdough (Hillsboro, N.H.) and Tabitha Josefik (Manchester, N.H.).
With the setback the Panthers fall to 6-6-2, while Nichols improves to 4-11-1.
Plymouth State 0, Nichols 1
Plymouth State 6-6-2
How it Happened:
* Nichols had a chance in the 23rd minute when Dunn got around freshman Ashley Acevedo (Mohegan Lake, N.Y.), the Acevedo recovered to knock the ball away before Dunn could get off a shot.
* Junior Caitlin Catania (Billerica, Mass.) beat a pair of defenders and streaked 40 yards down the left side, but her shot was denied by Nichols' senior goalkeeper Brooke Downey (Middleboro, Mass.).
* Catania was whistled for a foul in the box in the 33rd minute and Dunn fired a shot to the top left corner just past the outreached fingers of PSU freshman goalkeeper Elena Register (Helena, Ala.).
* Freshman Lizzy Bloch (Los Angeles, Calif.) had her blast stopped by Downey just before the first half expired.
* The Panthers' best chance to tie the game came in the opening minutes of the second half, but freshman Sarah Hicks (Sutton, Mass.) had her shot deflect off the post.
Inside the Numbers:
* PSU held an 18-7 advantage in shots, and 9-4 edge in shots on goal, but Downey stopped all nine to earn the shutout.
* Register made two saves in the first half, and Nault relieved for the second half to make one save.
* This was the first-ever meeting between the two programs.
* PSU wraps up the regular season with a pair of road contests next week. The Panthers head to Salem State for a non-conference tilt on Wednesday (Oct. 24), before visiting Western Connecticut State on Saturday (Oct. 27) for the regular season and Little East Conference finale.
* Nichols closes out the regular season with a Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) game at Salve Regina on Tuesday (Oct. 23) at 3:00 p.m.
|Plymouth State's six seniors with their families and coaches.|
– 30 –