Norklun, Shaffer lead Panthers to five-set win
STANDISH, Maine – Junior Carabeth Norklun (Goffstown, N.H.) notched 11 kills and hit .474 to lead Plymouth State University to a 3-2 (24-26, 25-15, 25-20, 18-25, 15-5) win over Saint Joseph's College in a non-conference match at the Alfond Center on Tuesday night.
PSU dropped the opening set for just the third time this season after being nipped 26-24, but rebounded with impressive wins in sets two (25-15) and three (25-20). The Monks fought back to force a fifth set win a 25-18 win, but the decisive set was all Plymouth State. The Panthers jumped out to a 10-2 lead and never looked back to earn the win.
Plymouth State improves to 15-1 on the season, while St. Joe's drops to 3-12.
Plymouth State 3, St. Joe's 2
Plymouth State (15-1)
St. Joe's (3-12)
How it Happened:
- PSU held a six-point advantage, 16-10, in the opening set, but the Monks rallied to tie things at 19-19. The next 12 points went back and forth, but with the score even at 24-24 the hosts ripped off consecutive points for a 26-24 win.
- The Panthers responded with a quick 6-0 run to open set two behind a pair of aces from sophomore Alexa Price (Moultonborough, N.H.) and two kills from junior Francie Shaffer (Frederick, Colo.). PSU extended the lead to through the middle portion of the set before closing out the 25-15 victory.
- Plymouth State got off to another good start in set three, building a 12-6 advantage. The hosts rallied, though, tying the game at 16, but PSU regained the momentum following a timeout to claim a 25-19 win.
- With the fourth set tied at 8-8, St. Joe's ran off four straight points to for a Panthers' timeout. The break slowed the Monks' momentum only momentarily, as the hosts extended the lead to 20-13. The Panthers tried to fight back, but SJC was able to hang on for a 25-18 win.
- Shaffer's kill and block helped the Panthers to a quick 5-1 lead in the decisive set. SJC briefly stopped the run, but Shaffer notched another kill and PSU ran off five more points to build a commanding 10-2 lead, before coasting to the 15-5 win.
Inside the Numbers:
- Shaffer led the Panthers with 12 kills, while Norklun and senior Lex Bowers (Port St. Lucie, Fla.) added 11. Sophomore Maria Wimpey (Concord, N.H.) posted nine kills, as freshman Emilee Flanagan (Milton, N.H.) chipped in with eight.
- Price posted 42 assists, 15 digs and four aces, while senior Alisha Flanagan (Milton, N.H.) led all players with 20 digs.
- Norklun added three blocks, while E. Flanagan posted four.
- PSU served up 11 aces.
- Plymouth State improves to 19-2 all-time against the Monks.
- PSU is right back in action tomorrow (Sept. 25) when the Panthers host Fitchburg State in non-conference action at 6:00 p.m.
– 30 –